The Garrett/Ladd Story
Ladd’s, Inc. has served southeastern Michigan residents since 1906. The firm was founded as E. W. Eyster Real Estate, a land development and real estate company located in downtown Detroit. Eyster decided to move closer to his base of operations in 1933, relocating his company to Royal Oak.
Eyster sold his interest in 1947 to Lyster C. Ladd (a salesman who had joined Eyster in 1924) and soon thereafter, the firm was renamed Ladd’s, Inc. In 1961, Ladd made the decision to move his office to the mushrooming suburb of Troy, and six years later sold the company to his sales manager, Joel A. Garrett.
Under the leadership of Joel, and children Dale and Ann, the firm developed more than 100 subdivisions in southeastern Michigan including Emerald Lakes in Troy, Avon Lakes Village in Rochester Hills, Barclay Lake Village and Clear Spring Lake in Shelby Township.
Today, Ladd’s Inc. is lead by Joel’s daughter, Ann Sobey, and is the exclusive sales and marketing company of Garrett Homes.